Monday, January 28, 2013

Downward Facing Slogggg

Every time I do the forward bending poses in yoga I go nuts crying. Like someone wrested my beloved (dinosaur) child from my arms, I just start weeping.

I'm not sure why this happens, but I'd like to know. I asked the yoga teacher for advice, and she said I should probably just sit there and cry. That is my kind of yoga teacher. She was pretty empathetic about it. She said that the forward bending poses are "inward, reflective" poses.

I am beginning to wonder if I can't touch my toes because of feelings?

To further investigate this, I went to a lunchtime Alexander Technique class with Ariel Weiss, who is a teacher in Center City. It was a cool little class. Whenever I have to go to something with feelings in it, I worry that the people there will be hokey and I will have to doubt myself. But all the people there were cool. One of the other guys in the class had this amazing way of standing up. (We were learning standing up) he was so tall that when he unfolded, he looked like he was about to walk out onto a life sized risk board and take over the world.

I have never taken an Alexander Technique class, but Rat told me to, so I tried it. Ariel Weiss watched me walk around for a while and do stuff, and then she said I had a style. She said I exploded forward, and that every movement I made looked like it ended with YEAH! I found it delightful to be described.

I will probably go back until I can figure out what's between me and my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment